Coronavirus disease (COVID-19)
- What is Coronavirus disease (COVID-19)?
- Where did the outbreak start?
- Symptoms of Coronavirus disease (COVID-19)
- How Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) Spreads?
- How to prevent getting infected by Coronavirus disease (COVID-19)?
- Homeopathy Prevention (Genus Epidemicus) for Coronavirus disease (COVID-19)
- Advice for Travellers
Coronavirus, which is making headlines in the media worldwide since January 2020, is a new strain in Coronaviruses family that has not been previously identified in humans. This virus is also known as Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) or Wuhan Coronavirus. This new virus is highly contagious and potentially fatal; however most of the infected patients recover without requiring special treatment.
Coronaviruses (CoV) are a large family of viruses that has been with humans and animals for a long time and cause illness ranging from the common cold to more severe diseases such as Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS-CoV) and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS-CoV). But this new virus is much more aggressive than all other members of the family.
Coronaviruses are zoonotic, meaning they are transmitted between animals and people. Several known coronaviruses are circulating in animals that have not yet infected humans.
Several cases of pneumonia were found in Wuhan City, Hubei Province of China in the end of December 2019. The virus did not match any other known virus. This raised concern because when a virus is new, we do not know how it affects people. Later Chinese authorities confirmed that they had identified a new virus. The new virus is a coronavirus, which is a family of viruses that include the common cold, and viruses such as SARS and MERS. This new virus was temporarily named “2019-nCoV” and then COVID-19. Confirmed cases worldwide are 375,498 and this deadly virus has claimed 16,362 lives worldwide till this article was updated. Total 195 countries spanning every continent except Antarctica, have confirmed cases so far.
Often a coronavirus causes upper respiratory infection symptoms like a stuffy nose, cough, fever, shortness of breath, breathing difficulties and sore throat. The coronavirus can also cause middle ear infections in children. Sudden loss or altered sense of smell (anosmia) or taste (dysgeusia) may be one of the symptoms of COVID-19. In more severe cases, infection can cause pneumonia (an inflammation of the lungs), severe acute respiratory syndrome, kidney failure and even death. This new virus appears to pose a particular risk for elderly people and those with pre-existing illnesses.
In most cases, you won't know whether you have a coronavirus or a different cold-causing virus, such as rhinovirus. For most people, the coronavirus causes only mild or moderate symptoms, such as fever or coughing. But for some older adults and people with existing health problems, it can cause more severe illness, including pneumonia. Novel Coronavirus is highly contagious and potentially fatal; however most of the infected patients recover completely without requiring special treatment.
Most coronaviruses spread the same way other cold-causing viruses do: through infected people coughing and sneezing, by touching an infected person's hands or face, or by touching things such as doorknobs that infected people have touched.
The COVID-19 virus spreads primarily through droplets of saliva or discharge from the nose when an infected person coughs or sneezes.
Almost everyone gets a coronavirus infection at least once in their life, most likely as a young child. In the United States, coronaviruses are more common in the fall and winter, but anyone can come down with a coronavirus infection at any time.
Standard recommendations to prevent infection spread include regular hand washing, covering mouth and nose when coughing and sneezing, thoroughly cooking meat and eggs. Avoid close contact with anyone showing symptoms of respiratory illness such as coughing and sneezing. Avoiding crowded places is vital to prevent community transmission. Recommendations to reduce exposure to and transmission of illness are as follows, which include hand and respiratory hygiene, and safe food practices:
- Clean hands by using alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water frequently;
- When coughing and sneezing cover mouth and nose with flexed elbow or tissue – throw tissue away immediately and wash hands;
- Avoid close contact with anyone who has fever and cough; Social distancing is a valuable tool in slowing the outbreak,
- If you have fever, cough and difficulty breathing see your doctor early and share previous travel history with your doctor;
- Staying at home is necessary where lockdown is announced. The more of us who stay home, the fewer of us will be infected and more lives will be saved. Avoiding crowd is vital to prevent community transmission of the virus. Avoid all social, spiritual and recreational gatherings, including weddings and funerals. To help contain the spread of the new coronavirus, it is our duty as a citizen to comply with advisories issued by Government from time to time.
- When visiting live markets in areas currently experiencing cases of novel Coronavirus, avoid direct unprotected contact with live animals and surfaces in contact with animals;
- The consumption of raw or undercooked animal products should be avoided. Raw meat, milk or animal organs should be handled with care, to avoid cross-contamination with uncooked foods, as per good food safety practices.
- Practise good health habits including adequate sleep, eating nutritious food, and keeping physically active.
Epidemics and pandemics can be kept under control by boosting people's immune system using well selected "Homeopathic Genus Epidemicus". The homeopathy medicine which is selected as Genus Epidemicus is given to healthy people in that particular region to prevent the illness. In the past homeopathy has helped in pandemics many times in different parts of the world.
In epidemics, a large number of people have same symptoms. The symptoms of this group are studied and most similar homeopathic remedy is selected as the "Genus Epidemicus" for that epidemic. This Genus Epidemicus is administered to all healthy people around so that their immune system gets trained against that particular disease. In past epidemics it is observed that number of new cases reduced significantly after administering Homeopathic Genus Epidemicus to healthy people. In present difficult times, if Homeopathic Genus Epidemicus is given to masses, changing trajectory of this pandemic is not at all difficult.
Homeopathy works through patient's own immunity - be it a viral disease or a bacterial disease. Well chosen homeopathy medicine (Genus Epidemicus) attempts to fine tune patient's immune system in such a way that the causative microorganism can't infect or multiply in the host's body thus not able to create active disease.
Homeopathic preventive medicine i.e. Genus Epidemicus should be given to all healthy people of all ages. Infants as well as elder persons can take this medicine. Homeopathic medicines are extremely safe and don't have adverse effects or side effects of any kind. It is safe for pregnant and lactating women also.
If you are travelling to China, Italy, Unites States, Spain, Germany, Iran, France, Unites Kingdom or any other part of the world where Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) cases are being found, it is recommended not to travel there unless absolutely needed. Please go through the World Health Organisation’s (WHO) Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) Travel Advice page updated from time to time at https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/travel-advice for latest travel update.